- An uninterrupted period of illness during which there is either a major depressive, manic or mixed episode and symptoms that meet the characteristic symptoms of schizophrenia.
- Two or more of the following characteristic symptoms, present for a significant portion of the time over a one-month period
- Disorganized speech (such as frequent derailment or incoherence)
- Grossly disorganized or catatonic behavior
- Negative symptoms (flatness of affect, avolition)
- Symptoms of the mood episode are present for a substantial portion of the total duration of the illness.
- This disturbance is not caused by the effects of a substance or a medical condition.
Tuesday, August 30, 2011
Schizoaffective Disorder (295.70)
Schizoaffective disorder is characterized by mood disturbance along with psychosis. The criteria are: